Gluten-Free Baking can be hit or miss, but recipes with bananas are usually a safe bet. They add moisture to breads and cakes that can otherwise be dense and grainy.
Matcha Green Tea powder gives this traditional recipe a touch of something special without being too overpowering. Its fun green color make it visually unique too! (Green bread and ham, anyone?)
Enjoy this simple recipe!
Ingredients for one loaf:
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 250 g gluten-free flour mix. (I like Marks and Spencer’s Gluten-Free Flour Mix – regardless of the brand, try to find one that contains xanthan gum)
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 85g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 packet of gluten-free baking powder
- 3 teaspoons matcha green tea powder
- Preheat the oven to 150º C
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl, add the lemon juice
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with the brown sugar. Add the melted butter, then the baking soda, and finally the gluten-free baking powder.
- Add this wet mixture to the mashed banana bowl.
- In another bowl, add the matcha powder to the gluten-free flour.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Grease the bread pan and pour the bread mixture in the pan.
- Cook the bread for 50 minutes at 150º. Use the toothpick check to ensure the bread is fully cooked.